Monday, June 14, 2010

Blog Challenge No. 7: Intention.



Haven't we all heard the phrase, "I had the best of intentions" at one point or another?


Several years ago, my mom turned me on to the idea of creating/making intentions for one's life instead of resolutions or goals. The idea being that we rarely ever make good on those resolutions, they usually end up becoming a revolving door of resolutions instead of concrete change.


At the end of 2009, I made a list of things I was letting go of in 2010. Most of these were negative issues/things/relationships in my life and to commerate that "letting go" ritual I burned the list on my dad's front porch on December 31, 2009.

And of course, I made a list of intentions for 2010. I recently took a peek back at that list to see what, if anything, I had accomplished or at least set the wheels in motion on. To my surprise there were several intentions I was able to cross off my list:

  • Locate and move into a fabulous vintage apartment in SilverLake or Los Feliz.
  • Obtain a permament paralegal position.
  • Continue writing my food blog on a weekly basis.

It also afforded me the time to check in with myself and see where I stood with respect to other intentions that may have been put on the back burner. I find myself asking if these intentions are something I still want to pursue? Is it realisitic? Do any of these intentions take precedent over others? I guess you could say I'm re-evaluating my intentions. That's the beauty of this list - nothing is set in stone, priorities do change, life happens, and we can modify, delete or start fresh any time we want or see fit. Kinda like a recipe, it's always good to try it as written, but there is such a thing as a "bad" recipe and sometimes it requires tweeking or creativity, just like life.

This also reminds me of the fact that I'm human, I possess no super power and I am only one person. Perhaps I won't "finish" every intention I have made for the year, but perhaps I will begin the process one way or another. Which brings me to another thought - I'm not perfect. Not even remotely close. I'm not ever going to be either, just in case you thought otherwise. In fact, I need to stop, breathe and pat myself on the back for what I have accomplished, not beat myself up for what's "lacking". Am I preaching to the choir or what?!? I hope you are able to take the time, have a spot of tea (or coffee or wine) an reflect, re-write or write new intentions.

4 comments:

  1. Love this, Teryll!! I've just fallen in love with intentions with regard to teachers - I never noticed that the best ones start classes off with intentions (whether they word them as such or not) - not surprised that your mom, who's an awesome teacher, was the one to mention intention!!

    And T - check out this Elizabeth Gilbert video (at the celebration of O magazine's b.d.) -- she's talking about a LOT of what you're talking about -- (the thing about not being perfect) http://www.oprah.com/omagazine/Elizabeth-Gilbert-Talk-from-O-Magazines-10th-Anniversary-Video

    I'm going to check out my end of year intentions (didn't call them that, but that's what they were) some time this week - and see what I might still want to move toward - and what not. Thanks for a great read! Love the ritual of burning your one list! and Teryll, is that your handwriting on the lists in the picture?? love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks K! I watched that Liz Gilbert video sometime ago, brillant stuff! Man oh man! xoxo

    I found that image on Google, not my handwriting. Mine is prettier, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the term intention instead of resolution. Sometimes, resolutions set us up to fail, but intention gives us the freedom to be and the freedom to do. Its the perfect blending of a real and ideal world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that too Anonymous! And I love how you correlated intention with freedom.

    ReplyDelete