Monday, April 14, 2008

my new obsession: marshmallow frosting.


A couple of weeks ago, I was asked to bake something for a youth fundraiser, members of our youth group are going to Panama this summer on a missions trip. Of course, I couldn't say no and thought it would be the perfect opportunity to test out a new recipe I ripped out of my latest Gourmet issue - Devil Dog Cake. Imagine if you will, a made from scratch Hostess cupcake in the form of a cake. I had alot of fun with this one, especially because of the frosting. I'm not a typical frosting fanatic like most, but this one could become a problem. Anyone know where the nearest Marshmallow Anonymous group is located in Fort Wayne???? The consistency was similar if not better than a jar of marshmallow creme. One unique quality to this cake was that the cocoa powder had to be a non-Dutch process cocoa powder. We don't have access to tons and specialty food shops in Fort Wayne, but thought Williams-Sonoma would be a good place to start. At $11.95, it better be!!!! So what is non-Dutch process cocoa powder? Basically it's cocoa powder that hasn't been through an alkanization process. It was new to me and worth trying. I think this recipe is definitely kid friendly too.
On a side note, expect a delay between posts - this weekend my main squeeze and I are heading out to sunny Los Angeles, California for some sunray soaking and good food grubbin', not to mention the fact that we will be catching up with friends and family. When I return, don't be surprised if I dedicate several posts to L.A. eats. It'll be a real treat, trust me!!

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you spent $11 on something you made for a fundraiser!!! must be nice to have a steady job.. teehee. btw.. you wont see this comment for a while, cuz i just saw you in cali!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Saikat from BlogsJam here.
    Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the
    blog. we have 2 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget and a content widget
    ) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl contact me at saibose@gmail.com so that i can send you the slideshow widget for your blog.

    thx-Saikat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dutch cocoa is sooooo good! Once I discovered it, nothing else would suffice. And that marshmallow frosting looks great, definitely have to give that a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete