Monday, June 16, 2008

the onset of summer


The rains continue to pour the thunder roars, but in between the outcrys of Mother Nature, we are blessed with the fruit of local farmers labor. This past Saturday I made my local rounds at Cedar Creek Produce in Leo, Indiana to purchase my eggs and behold! the variety is bountiful. The picture above depicts my purchases for the day - farm fresh brown eggs, a pint of rather larger than life cherry tomatoes and thick lucious asparagus stalks. Red potatoes, green bell peppers, strawberries and watermelons were also available for purchase. I made a lovely dish of angel hair pasta with these tomatoes and a few asparagus stalks chopped up. Let the veggies simmer in mounds of garlic, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and red chili pepper flakes. I'm looking forward to more summer goodness in the form of food. It's the simple things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment