Monday, June 13, 2011

Delancey Part Deux.







Weeks after opening in late summer of 2009, I made a pit stop at Delancey in Seattle. For a recap of my first meal there, please visit here. Nearly two years later, I had to go back and see how things were cookin' up while visiting my mom in the Seattle area. The joint is still hoppin' and there was a line of eager diners waiting for their doors to open on a Saturday night (they only take reservations for parties of 6 or more), so we knew we were in fine company. The specials were written on the blackboard, just like a teacher writing her name on the board or this week's homework assignment. Instantly, I was drawn to the special pizza - nettles pesto, bacon, onion and lots of grated grana padana.

The salad was mixed greens with roasted beets from the farmer's market in a creamy buttermilk dressing. Lightly tossed, it was a salad worth fighting for - come on, let's duke it out in the street. Okay maybe you're not the fighting type, but this salad was a dream starter. Yes, you already know I ordered the "special" pizza and my mom opted for the mushroom pizza. We could debate great pizza til we are blue in the face, but I've had a religious experience eating pizza recently. I like mine cooked to perfection in a hellish fire, with semi black spots on the crust and an even keeled crust. I prefer amazing ingredients thoughtfully placed onto my pizza. Pizza like this isn't something to scarf down because you're stoned or you're starving, it's pizza you should enjoy, mull over, let your eyes roll back in your head - it's that good. It's probably good that we don't have that one on tape. Having saved some room for dessert, we had the butterscotch pots au creme with banana infused whip cream and these lovely shortbread cookies. Light and sweet, but not overly doused with butterscotch or banana, this pot au cream was a pot au ecstasy.

Since opening Delancey, owners Molly and Brandon have recently opened a new project known as The Pantry. Think of it as a communal cooking space, a place to learn and be inspired.If you live in Seattle or are planning on visiting, look it up, there may be a cooking class or a family style dinner you'd like to sign up for!

3 comments:

  1. yea! a new post! I'll have to check out this place in Seattle sometime -thanks for the heads-up on it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh...I wish I could visit this place. I too enjoy pizza, I like to savor each flavor and appreciate it. My most recent eye rolling experience was at Sambuca in Dallas. An alfredo based sauce, artichoke hearts, grilled chicken, and goat cheese. Sweet Moses it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete