Wednesday, April 1, 2009

delight of the wonton.

It's been a while since I've made wonton soup, several years in fact. I was perusing my copy of Splendid Soups by James Peterson when I stumbled on this simple recipe for wonton soup. The wonder of this recipe is not only it's simplicity, but the open door that leads to culinary creativity. I stuffed my wontons with a mixture of ground pork, spinach, garlic, soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, salt and pepper. I also added some chopped scallions, grated carrots, and raw spinach to the broth. For extra flavor, before devouring, I added some garlic chili paste for some heat and wee splash of soy sauce! The recipe also provided for other wonton stuffings as well, salmon for example, which trips my trigger. The possibilities are endless and this recipe offers you the opportunity to be creative with what you have on hand, as opposed to buying extra ingredients you may not use.

1 comment:

  1. ok, i can't even believe you did this..i am bowing over here..it never even occurred to me that you could MAKE your own wontons- honestly..just never even thought of it..i am getting that book! have been looking for a good soup book..and i believe i'm going to try to make some wontons..you could knock me down with - well, with a wonton..i am so amazed..(duh..i KNOW..but really..i just had no idea..)

    ReplyDelete