Tuesday, February 10, 2009

unwrap this - birthday bread.



Tomorrow is my boss' birthday. He's not a particularily "birthday celebration" kind of guy, but I wanted to do something nice in his honor. So I decided to bake him some birthday "quick" bread. You gotta love quick breads, not only are they rather easy to squeeze in between everything else, they also can easily adapt to becoming a snack, dessert or breakfast treat. Quick breads are the baker's multitasking dream recipe. Functional, easy, tasty and interchangable. This "coco-nana bread" features a not-so-traditional banana bread, chock full of cocoa powder and chunks of bittersweet chocolate. Skimming through my vast collection, I found this gem in Baking: From My Home to Yours by the infamous Dorie Greenspan and figured it would be a safe bet. (Side note: pictures of her kitchen on her website might encourage drooling, though I am not legally responsible for the mess). My kitchen smells like heaven, of course, cutting off a slice for myself would be rude and anti-birthday-quick bread etiquette, so if it tastes as good as it smells, I think we have a winner here.

4 comments:

  1. i'm drooling. and it's NOT over the kitchen pictures...hope your efforts are a huge success! YUM! (i know someone who came to bed last night with a huge plate-full of cookies!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did the bread go over? Looks and sounds scrumptious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I want a piece!! NOW!!! sounds so yummy. I love coming over here and seeing/hearing about things you've made...i fall very easily into the trap of picking something up somewhere instead of making it myself..and lately i LIKE to cook/bake - it's just habit (a lazy habit - and one that's not particularly good for me). When i visit your blog I remember to slow down around food - reconnect with my love of it (as opposed to maybe - obsession?)..thanks, teryll..

    ReplyDelete
  4. The attorney I work for loved the bread and so did his family, thanks Kassie!

    ReplyDelete